The new Camden District Hospital was opened in 1902 on Windmill Hill by the NSW Premier Sir John See in front of a large crowd of local folk.
The new hospital had 12 patient beds, 2 nurses bedrooms, a maid’s room, an operating theatre, a separate cottage serving as an infectious disease ward, lighting provided by acetylene gas and pan toilets.
The new hospital was designed by Sydney architect HC Kent, who also designed Carrington Hospital.
The new health facility replaced the original 12 bed Camden Cottage Hospital that was opened in 1899 in the two storey house known as ‘Edithville’ in Mitchell Street.
The Camden community had originally moved to support the opening of a cottage hospital in the 1890s after an outbreak of scarlet fever in the local area.